What is a non-surgical rhinoplasty?
Non-surgical rhinoplasty, also known as a liquid rhinoplasty, is a low downtime procedure used to improve the shape of the nose without surgery. It is certainly a current trend of non-invasive procedures to bring balance to the nose and face. Nose fillers is a common request from my patients, and it is a perfect option for those who do not want to have surgery or have minor irregularities on the nose after surgery and want to improve the nasal shape further. Also known as a non-surgical nose job, it is an office procedure done with topical anesthesia and the use of injectable fillers.
Who is a good candidate for a surgical and non-surgical rhinoplasty?
The traditional surgical rhinoplasty is a rewarding permanent procedure that changes the shape, improves the aesthetics and can also improve the function of the nose in case of nasal obstruction. It requires general anesthesia and a few weeks of down time in most cases, being a great procedure for many patients. However, some patients do not want to undergo a surgical procedure to make changes in the nose. They are happy with temporary changes to the nose requiring injections about once a year to maintain the results. Some patients have had a previous rhinoplasty and desire further improvements to the nose with no extra surgery. Then, we can use fillers to perform a non-surgical rhinoplasty.
How is a non-surgical rhinoplasty done?
The procedure is done in the office with topical or local anesthesia and has minimal or no downtime. The results are seen immediately after the injections. We recommend topical Arnica gel to the nose to speed up recovery since some patients can have some swelling afterwards for a couple of days. Taking NSAIDS is also good after the procedure. A comprehensive patient evaluation and discussion of the patient’s goals in the office is the first step to define who is a good candidate.
Injections of fillers to fine tune the aesthetics of the nose is a highly rewarding procedure for me and my patients.
Who should perform my non-surgical rhinoplasty?
Knowledge of the surgical anatomy is very important for making the precise changes in the nose and create a beautiful and natural result, while avoiding complications. Selecting a qualified plastic surgeon that performs surgical rhinoplasties and understands the risks and subtleties involved with a surgical nose job is key for having a successful non-surgical rhinoplasty. Although temporary (we only use absorbable hyaluronic acid fillers for this procedure), injections of fillers to fine tune the aesthetics of the nose is a highly rewarding procedure for me and my patients.
How can I get started to learn more?
If you are interested in having a non-surgical rhinoplasty or liquid rhinoplasty, it would be my pleasure to see you in the office for an in-person consultation. We can talk about what you want to achieve, go over the specific areas you are looking to improve and, I will answer any questions you have. Call or email us to schedule your appointment.
Plastic surgery through a woman’s eye
GABRIELE C. MIOTTO MD, MEd, is a Brazilian-American plastic surgeon in Atlanta, specialized in aesthetic surgery and minimally invasive aesthetic procedures of the face. She is known and recognized for her beautiful and natural results. Call or email our office to schedule your appointment!
Preparing for filler injections to avoid unwanted bruising:
- DO NOT take any aspirin for 7-10 days before your scheduled procedure. Please contact the office if you are prescribed aspirin by your cardiologist or Primary Care Provider (PCP). Do not take NSAIDS (Aleve, Motrin, Ibuprofen) for 5 days before injections. You may take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) if needed for aches or pains.
- Discontinue Vitamin E 7 days before injections.
- Avoid the following herbal supplements for 7 days before your injections: Echinacea, Ephedra / Phentermine (used for weight loss), Feverfew, Fish Oils, Garlic, Ginkgo Biloba, Goldenseal, Kava-Kava, Licorice, Saw Palmetto, St. John’s Wort and Valerian.
- Stop Smoking. The harmful effects of smoking cause a lot of wrinkles and skin damage!
- Alcohol can promote bleeding, so it is best to avoid alcohol intake for at least a few days before the injections.
- Start oral anti-bruising supplements with Arnica Montana / Bromelain the day before or the day of your injections and continue for 3-5 days after the injections. Fresh pineapple is rich in Bromelain, so add it to your diet.