ME PLASTIC SURGERY
contact our office
A mastopexy or breast lift is an excellent procedure for women who experience sagging of the breasts and want to reshape the breasts without adding a breast implant. The procedure improves breast shape and lifts the breast at the same time.
What is a breast lift or breast lift augmentation?
A breast lift is a common cosmetic surgery procedure utilizing the breasts own tissue to improve sagging breasts and to reshape the breasts. The procedure will also improve the appearance of uneven breasts, where one breast may be larger than the other or is droopier than the other.
Can a mastopexy be done the same time as a breast augmentation?
For patients desiring a larger breast, the mastopexy can be combined with a breast augmentation surgery or breast lift augmentation (augmentation mastopexy), where implants are inserted at the same time of the breast reshaping. A regular breast lift surgery can slightly change or not change at all the breast volume. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
A breast lift can also be combined with many other cosmetic procedures of the breast and body.
How is a breast lift surgery performed?
Breast lift surgery is commonly performed under general anesthesia or deep sedation. Incisions are drawn right before surgery based on the patient’s anatomy. We remove the excessive skin so we can move the breasts up, reshape and tighten the breasts at the same time. The areolae are often reduced in size if they have become stretched out over time or after pregnancy, and they can also be repositioned if they have turned downward. We carefully close and suture the skin. The procedure takes about 2-3 hours to complete and patients can go home the same day.
Would I be able to combine a breast lift with an implant exchange?
Some patients have a breast lift at the time they exchange their silicone gel implants.
If you think you are interested in a breast lift, we can discuss your goals together and make an individualized plan for you.
Do I need to be sedated during the breast lift surgery?
Most of the time, the procedure can be performed under deep sedation or general anesthesia. These options are discussed with the patient during our consultation.
What is a breast lift revision?
A breast lift revision is a secondary lift to add more shaping to the breast using the same incision areas as the primary procedure. This is done when the patient would like repeating lifting after a number of years, or if the incisions need to be improved and extra skin resected.
Is a breast lift safe?
Yes, for most patients the breast lift surgery is very safe. For very droopy breasts, sometimes there is loss of sensation of the nipples after surgery, and we can have problems with wound healing. A detailed consultation is important to evaluate the patient’s anatomy and plan the best procedure.
How long does a breast lift last?
Many patients experience a decade and more of the benefits of a breast lift. The numbers of years is dependent on age, genetics and personal habits, and whether or not there were pregnancies after the initial lift.
Will there be visible scars after the breast lift surgery?
In general, breast lift scars heal well and become imperceptible over the years. Incisions are made around the areola, in the inframammary fold of the breast and as a vertical line in the lower part of the breasts.
Will there be swelling after a breast lift surgery?
Yes, there will be some bruising and swelling after the surgery for about 2-3 weeks.
What is breast lift recovery time?
The average downtime is about 2 weeks after the procedure. Most patients feel really well after about 2 weeks and can return to their normal activities with little to no discomfort. Depending on the type of procedure, some patients have more swelling or bruising than others, so it may take about 3 weeks to heal.
Am I a good candidate for a breast lift?
You may be a good candidate for a breast lift if your breasts sag, if your breasts have become flatter or less round, or you see the nipples turning downward. A mastopexy can correct all of these issues and create rounder looking and more “perky” breasts.
How can I get started to learn more?
If you are interested in a breast lift procedure, or in combination with an implant exchange or augmentation, it would be my pleasure to see you in the office for an in-person consultation. We can talk about what you want to achieve, go over the specific areas you are looking to improve and, I will answer any questions you have.
Plastic surgery through a woman’s eye
Dr. Gabriele Miotto, Atlanta plastic surgeon known for her beautiful, natural results and high patient satisfaction.
Surgery and Recovery Information
After the breast lift procedure
Breast lift is an outpatient surgery done deep sedation or general anesthesia. After the procedure, there will be visible fine skin sutures in the incisions, some bruising and swelling.
Breast lift is not a painful procedure, but mild discomfort and feeling of tightness are expected for a few days to a few weeks after surgery. Bruising and swelling are usually the cause of the discomfort. However, it can be treated with preoperative and postoperative medication and supplementation, and anti-inflammatories. Swelling can be minimal or more intense depending on how many procedures need to be done in surgery to make the results the most beautiful and natural possible.
Sutures are removed between 7-10 days after the surgery. Return to normal daily activities between 1-2 weeks. We are all different, so it is hard to predict who will get more or less swelling and bruising.
General preoperative recommendations for facelift, neck lift and mini-facelift surgery:
What to avoid before surgery:
- DO NOT take any aspirin for 7-10 days before your scheduled procedure. Do not take NSAIDS (Aleve, Motrin, Ibuprofen) for 5 days before surgery. You may take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) if needed for aches or pains. Please contact the office at if you have any questions about any medications that you are taking or if you are prescribed aspirin by your cardiologist or Primary Care Provider (PCP).
- Discontinue Vitamin E 10 days before surgery.
- Avoid the following herbal supplements for 10 days before surgery: Echinacea, Ephedra / Phentermine (used for weight loss), Feverfew, Fish Oils, Garlic, Ginkgo Biloba, Goldenseal, Kava-Kava, Licorice, Saw Palmetto, St. John’s Wort and Valerian.
- Stop Smoking. The harmful effects of smoking can cause tissue death, infection, and open wounds. It also makes you age faster!
- Alcohol can promote swelling of the surgical area and it is best to avoid alcohol intake for at least one week before surgery.
What to take before surgery:
- Dr Miotto will recommend medications and supplements to speed up recovery after surgery when she meets you for your preoperative visit.
General postoperative recommendations after breast lift:
- You MUST have a responsible adult to transport you home and stay with you for a full twenty-four hours after your surgery.
- You will be unable to drive if you are taking narcotics.
- It is common to feel sluggish for a few days as the anesthesia works its way out of your system.
- It is recommended to elevate the head with two to three pillows after all facial procedures.
- Your initial post-operative appointment will be scheduled by your Patient Care Coordinator; please make arrangements to have reliable transportation for these appointments as you will not be permitted to drive until twenty-four hours after your surgery and when you are no longer taking narcotic pain medications.
- For your safety, we require that you have a responsible adult stay with you for twenty-four hours after your surgery for general help, as you may find your balance and judgement impaired.
- Please refrain from physical activity that will increase your heart rate or blood pressure for 2 weeks after surgery. However, bed rest is NOT recommended, and you should be walking at normal pace after the procedure.
- Frequent walking will decrease the risk of post-operative blood clots (mostly after general anesthesia).
- Sexual activity can safely be resumed 2 weeks following surgery. Please discuss with Dr Miotto as needed.
- You can shower twenty-four hours after surgery. You may clean the incisions as instructed by Dr Miotto or her nurses after the procedure.
- Do not submerge yourself into a tub/pool until all wounds have healed (usually in 3 weeks).
- Do not scrub the surgical sites, however you can allow soapy water to run over them.
- Avoid lotions on the surgical sites for 2 weeks, but you can moisturize any other areas as desired.
Returning to Work:
- Recovery time will vary; however, most patients return to work within one to 2 weeks after the procedure, within one week you will have a feel for your specific limitations and will be able to determine how comfortable you will be with resuming your daily activities and workload.
- Immediately following surgery, it is best to eat bland, easily-digested food and avoid excess sugar and salt. Healthy proteins (eggs, lean meat, beans, nuts), rice, fruits and cooked vegetables (broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes) will provide your body with nutrients essential for healing.
- Eat a few bites of food before taking pain medications as these can cause nausea.
- A diet low in sodium will help minimize swelling and water retention.
- Drink plenty of water! Drinking low sugar sports drinks and protein shakes are recommended.
- Keep in mind that our goal in aesthetic surgery is improvement and not perfection. You will be followed closely after surgery to assure that you heal well and have the best possible results.
- It can take months for the very final results of your surgery be apparent. After 12 weeks, you can expect your results to be mostly permanent. Expect subtle changes in swelling and healing (including the appearance of scarring) to continue to appear for up to twelve months.
- It is important for you to keep open communication with your physician and return for your follow up visits. We will take pre and post pictures along the way and look at the final results together.
GABRIELE C. MIOTTO MD, MEd., is a Brazillian-American plastic surgeon specialized in aesthetic surgery and minimally invasive procedures, specially of the face, eyes, breast, nose and liposuction.