Neurotoxin (Botox / Dysport / Xeomin) for wrinkle treatment and prevention
Botulinum toxin, or neurotoxins, are injectable products utilized for improvement and prevention of facial wrinkles, amongst other medical uses. Botox®, Dysport®, and Xeomin®, are the commercial names of the most popular brands of neurotoxins used for cosmetic purposes.
How does Botox / Dysport / Xeomin work?
Neurotoxins work by relaxing the muscles of facial expression, softening facial wrinkles and deep creases. We inject the product with tiny needles under the skin and into the facial muscles for the treatment of the lines/wrinkles that appear when we make certain facial expressions such as frowning (the “elevens” in the middle of the eyebrows) or the “crow’s feet” on the lateral face upon smiling.
Which areas can be treated with Botox / Dysport / Xeomin?
We can treat any areas of the face with deep lines or strong facial expressions caused by intense activity of the facial muscles, such as:
- Forehead lines
- Crow’s feet
- Chin dimpling
- Neck (platysma) bands
- Perioral lines
- “Bunny lines” on the sides of the nose
- Gummy smile
- Droopy brows
Neurotoxin injections take just a few minutes and there is no downtime after the procedure.
How is the downtime after neurotoxin injections?
The injection takes just a few minutes and there is no downtime. Patients can go back to work right away. It is not common to have bruising or swelling after botulinum toxin treatment, but small bruising can happen and is easily hidden with makeup. It takes about five to seven days for the effect to “quick in” and the full results are seen at about ten days after the treatment, once the muscles are completely relaxed. Typically, we recommend avoiding intense exercise the same day of the injections, but you can expect to get back to your normal activities the next day.
How long do Botox injections last?
Injections last for three to five months on average, but sometimes up to six months depending on how strong the facial expressions are, how hydrated the skin is, and on the amount of units used in the treatment session. As we keep aging, botulinum toxin injections are a great tool to maintain a youthful facial skin and prevent deep lines and creases.
I am a good candidate for Botox / Dysport / Xeomin?
If you notice wrinkles on your forehead, around the eyes, chin dimpling or neck bands, you may be a good candidate for botulinum toxin. It can also be used to create a light brow lift and reshaping of the brow. If you have neck bands (platysma bands), Botox injections can give you a soft neck lift and better definition in the jawline. An in-person consultation is important to define your goals and expectations, number of units needed, effect on brow shape and brow lift, and overall improvement of your facial expression. It will be a pleasure to see you for a consultation and choose the best treatment for you.
GABRIELE C. MIOTTO MD, MEd., is a Brazillian-American plastic surgeon specialized in aesthetic surgery and minimally invasive aesthetic procedures such as facial injectables. She is known and recognized for her beautiful and natural results. Call or email our office to schedule your appointment!
Preparing for facial injections and avoiding unwanted bruising:
- DO NOT take any aspirin for 7-10 days before your scheduled procedure. Please contact the office if you are prescribed aspirin by your cardiologist or Primary Care Provider (PCP). Do not take NSAIDS (Aleve, Motrin, Ibuprofen) for 5 days before injections. You may take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) if needed for aches or pains.
- Discontinue Vitamin E 7 days before injections.
- Avoid the following herbal supplements for7 days before your injections: Echinacea, Ephedra / Phentermine (used for weight loss), Feverfew, Fish Oils, Garlic, Ginkgo Biloba, Goldenseal, Kava-Kava, Licorice, Saw Palmetto, St. John’s Wort and Valerian.
- Stop Smoking. The harmful effects of smoking cause a lot of wrinkles…and those are not well treated with botulinum toxin!
- Alcohol can promote bleeding so it is best to avoid alcohol intake for at least a few days before the injections.
- Start oral anti-bruising supplements with Arnica Montana / Bromelian the day before your injections and continue for 3-5 days after the injections.